Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Not boiling on "Arctic Monday"

Though I hate to make reference to the tabloids, The Sun dubbed yesterday "Arctic Monday" due to freezing temperatures across Britain. I felt the headline was apt given the general mood, as Christmas decorations come down and people return to work (or worse, worry that they may not be returning to work for much longer). The frosty weather also coincided with equally cold reports from major retailers about losses and potential job cuts.

It’s also fitting that on one of the coldest days in Glasgow so far this winter, is when our boiler decides to stop working. At the moment, we’re without heating or hot water (using the kettle as a replacement for the shower is an interesting experience). The gas technician is currently in the kitchen trying to fix it... I initially thought it was a simple problem with the pilot light, but given the exasperated sighs I’m hearing, it might be something a bit more complicated.

The change in weather and rising fuel costs has also been difficult for many of our refugee friends (many of whom are much more accustomed to a warmer climate). Late winter fuel supplements are causing great stress and the wet and chilly weather is felt even more by those with ailments. As a result, the winter is a time when many refugees struggle with experiencing isolation.

One of the primary ways we’re trying to minister to refugees this winter is through hospitality: hosting, visiting, sharing meals. This may sound like something rather modest, but one of the major needs expressed by refugees in our area is that they feel socially isolated. I would go so far as to say that hospitality is the core practice our ministry here. A number of programmes exist to assist refugees in Glasgow, but they are no replacement for genuine human contact. One of our current projects is trying to gather a group of local volunteers who can commit to hosting and/or visiting refugees at least every other week – it’s an exciting opportunity. We’ll keep you informed as this ministry develops.

Well, the technician has just finished replacing a number of parts on our boiler (he says, "that should keep it working for a while", I hope he’s right), so I can finally head off to the drop-in at St. Rollox.

P.

Posted by Paul and Emma at 1:43 pm |  

2 comments :

Subscribe to: Post Comments ( Atom )