Friday, December 19, 2008
Advent Thoughts

We’re already nearly through the third week of Advent. We hit the ground running upon our return from the US; we’ve helped out at a number of Christmas programmes, visited some refugee families, spent time getting to know and discussing ministry with Paul Sydnor (our Associate Ministry Leader from International Teams), and I’ve attempted to fix an Algerian family’s computer on two separate occasions (unsuccessfully).
So Advent is supposed to be a time of expectant waiting; yet as I rush from one activity to the next, the discipline of waiting seems incongruous. I came across this advent reflection by Rowan Williams this afternoon and it served as a healthy reminder:
We remember in Advent the time of waiting before the birth of Jesus, and we remember that time of waiting as the Bible shows it to us as a time when people were indeed longing for something that would change everything, and yet at the same time not quite knowing what that something would be.
...It's been said so often it hardly needs saying again, but it is rather a pity that for a few weeks before Christmas we are saturated with Christmas carols. We don't have quite the sort of quiet we need to think, 'Well what would it be if Jesus really came as if for the first time into my life? What would it be for the good news really to change me.' Because for that to happen I need some reflective time; I need some peace; I need to slow down; I need, you might say, to take my time about things. And so all those bits of our contemporary culture which are about rushing to get gratification, getting the results straight away, all those habits in our culture which so drive the crises of our culture, whether it's the credit crunch or the environmental crisis, all those things we have to cast a rather cold eye on during Advent and say slow down, take time, let yourself grow and open up, rather like a flower coming to blossom - a time of expectation, a time of excitement, a time of waiting, a time of peace, a time where we're clearing our hearts and our minds a bit so we really can see clearly when Jesus arrives, and feel fully the impact of his coming.
(if you’d like to see the entire piece, follow this link: http://www.archbishopofcanterbury.org/2040)
Many of the refugees (especially the Muslims) are fascinated by all the activity that surrounds Christmas. The city of Glasgow is adorned with decorations (equally tasteful and tacky in parts), people flock to the shops, and their children are involved in Christmas crafts and activities at school. Part of me wants to enjoy the atmosphere that springs up this time of year. I find the pessimism and moaning about how "it’s not the way it should be" just as contrary to the meaning of advent as is consumerist excess. Hope, not dread, is implicit in Advent. So in that spirit, I want enjoy some of the events put on by city; Advent is an exciting time, so why not celebrate in some way? However, on the other hand, I find myself a bit embarrassed by how shallow and silly aspects of Christmas here can be. For example: a ‘High School Musical’ Advent calendar containing cheap chocolate... no comment is necessary.
So how do I bear witness to the real meaning of Christmas to my refugee friends when there is so much in our culture that I don’t want to affirm? It is a difficult question. I think we must try to exhibit joy as we look forward to celebrating the incarnation – an authentic joy that transcends and surpasses materialism. I also think we have to maintain that we are critical of our culture, but without slipping into an easy pessimism and gloom. "And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, full of grace and truth" – what a compelling reason to be joyful!
P.
0 comments :
Post a Comment
