Wednesday, January 28, 2009
It’s moments like these...
We recently enjoyed a visit from our good friends, and former teammates, the Cottrell family en route back to Athens. It was great to catch up with them. As a parting gift, they left us with a bag of Australian sweets. This wrapper on a Minties sweet seemed particularly relevant given current events:


We had two flat tyres in the space of a week. The first tyre had been slashed. The second tyre had a slow puncture, but I have the feeling in might have been deliberate given our car recent car trouble. Before we left for Ireland, somebody had pulled off our wing mirror and then threw it under the car... I’m thankful that nothing more serious has happened, but petty vandalism is still frustrating.
But every cloud has a sliver lining (this being Glasgow, we have those in abundance). I was having trouble changing the tyre and one of our neighbours noticed and came out with a heavier-duty chrome ratchet. Neither of us could budge the nuts – they had been fastened so tightly that we nearly lifted the car off the ground with our combined strength (this helped my pride a bit, as I wasn’t the only one too weak to change the tyre). Anyway, I had a good chat with our neighbour and finally got to know somebody else in our building. It helped keep me the incident in perspective; car trouble can have its advantages.
I found this photo of us (and my sister) and the Cottrells from our trip to Kalavyrta(Καλάβρυτα) last year. Actually, over a year ago. It seems like a lot less than that! Good memories of our time in Greece.


We're happy to have the Cottrells back. Brian's humor and perspective have been refreshing. On the other hand, Brian gets Gary tweaked up, making jokes, and talking together so that no one else understands. haha - good times! Miss you guys!