Monday, May 09, 2011
Bruised toenails and blisters
Over £800 (£600 online and £200 in cash donations) raised to help alleviate destitution amongst asylum seekers in Glasgow. Well worth it! Thank you to everyone who sponsored me for the women's 10k run yesterday. Your giving will make a real difference in peoples' lives.
It was a great event to be part of; over 11,000 women took part. As we came around the first corner, there was a slight downhill and there was an amazing view of the whole road full of runners as far as the eye could see. Despite terrible weather, the route was well lined with spectators to cheer us on and there were bands, percussion groups and pipes and drums at various points. There were a couple of official water stations, but it was really touching to see a group from a Seikh Temple who had generously brought water supplies as well as providing some musical accompaniment. There were also a couple of local Pakistani Muslim families who had brought little tables, plastic tumblers and water jugs out to the side of the road.
I'm not expecting the British Olympic team (nor the Irish for that matter) to be in touch anytime soon. My running is definitely of the "slow and not always so steady" variety. Nor have I been badly bitten by "the running bug". I'd like to keep up my ability to run 5k regularly but haven't been afflicted by a desire to do a marathon, kilomathon or a half marathon. I'm again reminded (as I was in Athens when we joined the local gym) of the importance of looking after my physical well-being and how that impacts my emotional and spiritual well-being.
Thanks again to all those who gave generously and sacrificially.
It was a great event to be part of; over 11,000 women took part. As we came around the first corner, there was a slight downhill and there was an amazing view of the whole road full of runners as far as the eye could see. Despite terrible weather, the route was well lined with spectators to cheer us on and there were bands, percussion groups and pipes and drums at various points. There were a couple of official water stations, but it was really touching to see a group from a Seikh Temple who had generously brought water supplies as well as providing some musical accompaniment. There were also a couple of local Pakistani Muslim families who had brought little tables, plastic tumblers and water jugs out to the side of the road.
I'm not expecting the British Olympic team (nor the Irish for that matter) to be in touch anytime soon. My running is definitely of the "slow and not always so steady" variety. Nor have I been badly bitten by "the running bug". I'd like to keep up my ability to run 5k regularly but haven't been afflicted by a desire to do a marathon, kilomathon or a half marathon. I'm again reminded (as I was in Athens when we joined the local gym) of the importance of looking after my physical well-being and how that impacts my emotional and spiritual well-being.
Thanks again to all those who gave generously and sacrificially.
0 comments :
Post a Comment
