Monday, January 17, 2011
Trying to hit the ground kneeling...
I just finished reading a brilliant book on leadership. Interestingly, it’s also one of the shortest books that I’ve read on leadership. I would highly recommend Stephen Cottrell’s Hit the Ground Kneeling: Seeing Leadership Differently to anybody who is a leader in some area of their life: work, home, church, sports team…
The book is written from a distinctly Christian perspective, but does not only apply to leadership in churches and Christian organisations. Stephen Cottrell takes worn out leadership clichés and turns them upside-down with reference to wisdom in the book of Proverbs and biblical examples of leadership.
Stephen Cottrell summarises some of his ideas:The world says, ‘Don’t state the obvious.’ But I reckon that articulating the vision and reminding people of what is fundamental are the first requirements of leadership. The world says, ‘Don’t reinvent the wheel.’ But other people’s wheels don’t always fit. The world says, ‘Don’t count your chickens before they hatch.’ But we need a big vision to counter the prevalent cynicism that is eating up our culture.Definitely worth a look.
We don’t need to hit the ground running…. when someone hits the ground running, there is all the superficial attraction of movement and progress. But there is no guarantee that they are going in the right direction.
0 comments :
Post a Comment
