Friday, May 06, 2016

new shoots in spring

I'm happy to let you all know that the Wilsons have moved.  We were grateful for the provision of the Manse, but it's great to be in our own place now.  In our time in Glasgow, we've moved progressively northwards... from Springburn to Bishopbriggs and now a little bit further out to a village called Milton of Campsie. 

It feels rather different from our first five years here living in one of Glasgow's most deprived neighbourhoods.  I'll admit enjoying the fresh air -- both literally and figuratively.  Maybe this is just me justifying things to myself (and I'll admit there is this lingering guilt that we've turned back from our original vision in some way), but Milton of Campsie seems a good compromise for us as a family.  In Springburn -- especially with the stress of Shane's medical needs -- we found ourselves so frazzled that we didn't even have the energy to do the things that we had moved into the community in the first place, especially hospitality.  So Milton of Campsie is lovely, we have a view of the Campise Fells out our window, green spaces on our doorstep, a good school for the kids, and the streets are quiet enough to get the kids out on their bikes.  It's also not without its problems.  It feels a lot less anonymous than the suburbs and feels like, and is, a village.  Niamh was excited to meet another Niamh at the park the other day, and was asked, "Are you new here?"  It feels like there is a community here that we can put down roots in and make a also make a contribution. We're looking forward to having refugee families over at the house again, going for walks in the nearby woods and hills.

I've been doing some odd jobs around the house and it already feels more like home than the manse ever did.   I never "mentally unpacked" there, trying not to get used to it, knowing that everything would need to be packed up again shortly.  In 12 years of marriage, we have now moved 9 times!  We're looking forward to staying put for a little while.

So some other news...

-> New Syrian refugees.  We've met more and more of the new Syrians at St Rollox.  It has been good to make a connection there.  Their stories are as tragic as you might imagine, but many are hopeful being in Glasgow that they can rebuild their lives.

-> Studies.  I'm nearly finished with my Masters now.  Formal classes are all finished, just meeting with my supervisor.  The past semester has been tough -- especially with the upheaval of moving on top of it all.  I had to take some time off from St Rollox simply to get all my writing competed.  I sometimes feel like I was living at the desk, tapping away on the computer, reading, and trying to memorise verb paradigms.  I just finished my last examination -- and waiting on the result -- so I might offer more reflections on how it has all been once that comes out!  I'm going to start writing my dissertation soon -- writing on the role of narrative asides in the Gospel of Mark (e.g. 7:3f, 13:14), which fits into some of the discussions of orality and the history of the earliest gospel... I see you're yawning already, so I'll move on.

-> Emma has been doing a lot of face-to-face advocacy work at St Rollox and the response has been overwhelming.  It has been great, but now Emma is taking appointments for two weeks in advance.  There have been many encouraging outcomes, but it's also a heavy workload and stress from hearing tragic story after tragic story.  God has been using it to bring her into contact with new people, but pray for her patience in the midst of all of the ever-present need.

-> Many of our refugee friends -- from the Middle East to North Africa -- have stated attending a local Alpha course.  Some also come along to football and St Rollox.  It has been great seeing local churches in the north of Glasgow working together to make it all possible.

I'll close with a few pictures from around our new home.  If you want our new contact details, send us an e-mail.  We should have a new contact card soon, but we need to get an updated photo [Here I offer an apology to my mother-in-law Jen!] first.  Shouldn't take long... honest!

P.

View out Shane's window.  Hope he appreciates it!  And yes, it's ALWAYS this clear and sunny north of Glasgow.

Good paths linking up the village just at the end of our street.

The old railway path, just down from the new house.  Great traffic-free cycling.

The old railway station in Milton of Campsie -- being lovingly restored by members of the local community.

Old park, new to us.




Posted by Paul and Emma at 3:12 pm |  

1 comments :

Subscribe to: Post Comments ( Atom )