Friday, August 16, 2013
Clefts & Conversations
Discussions with our refugee friends at St Rollox about
Shane's cleft palate have led to some interesting responses and
conversations. It causes many to make a
double-take at this face, assuming this means that he has a cleft lip (i.e. harelip,
or in Arabic, "rabbit lip").
We then usually explain that it is only inside his mouth but still
causes some difficulty feeding him, etc, etc.
Most responses are very caring or empathic, usually prompting more
questions about his upcoming surgery and what the prognosis might be. We've been impressed by how compassionate
most people are, as well as the honest offers to help us with anything we need.
It was a good reminder about how fortunate we are to have
a team of experts on hand, access to special bottles that help Shane to feed,
and expert surgeons. Shane's condition
is quite common and, as these things go, a straightforward procedure. Yet in other parts of the world, a minor
cleft can be life threatening. Again, it
makes me feel fortunate; yet on the other hand, I feel distressed by the tragic
inequality of it all.
Shane is growing well, is becoming more social, and is ridiculously
strong for a baby of his age. Already
rolling over on a regular basis. Niamh
is enjoying him more now that he clearly reacts to her presence and coos like
crazy any time she gets close.
We should find out in the next couple of months when his
surgery will happen. Please keep us and
Shane in your prayers , as were practically needing to put a lot of ministry
activities 'on hold' until we know when his operation will happen and how well
he recovers.
2 comments :
Post a Comment
Thanks for the reminder of how blessed we Westerners are, and how we frequently forget our needy neighbor ... who doesn't enjoy and can't afford our life enriching medical technology. I recently read an excellent definition of "neighbor" ... my neighbor is that person who is in need, whose need I can see, and whose need I can meet ... I need to be a person who cannot pass on the other side. Granny and Granda are praying for Shane's development and coming operation, we love you all!
Thanks for the reminder of how blessed we Westerners are, and how we frequently forget our needy neighbor ... who doesn't enjoy and can't afford our life enriching medical technology. I recently read an excellent definition of "neighbor" ... my neighbor is that person who is in need, whose need I can see, and whose need I can meet ... I need to be a person who cannot pass on the other side. Granny and Granda are praying for Shane's development and coming operation, we love you all!


