Thursday, February 21, 2013
Miracle Bus Tickets
I spend my Tuesdays at St Rollox in a storage cupboard. It's dark and rather cold in there, no natural light, only a 40 watt bulb that hangs from the ceiling. I don't go in there for the purpose of some odd ascetic discipline for lent... it's where we distribute foodstuffs and toiletries to destitute asylum seekers. The St Rollox Drop-In has become so busy, that the storage cupboard is the only practical place we can distribute the goods while allowing for some privacy for our destitute clients. The fact that it's cut off from the rest of the hubbub on Tuesday also means that I have a chance to chat one-on-one with all who use the programme (currently there are 25 on the register who do not receive food anywhere else). Quite often I'm asked to look at Home Office documents or help decipher the legalese in solicitors' letters. Sometimes it's much less technical, some just want a chat, others ask for prayer.
"Abdi" is an older devout Muslim African who often asks me to pray for him. He told me a great story on Tuesday about his "miracle bus ticket." We've been lucky to have a partnership with the Refugee Survival Trust who have been providing all-day bus tickets for the destitute. Each client is allowed one ticket per week -- meaning they can travel for one day each week on public transport. Granted, it doesn't seem like much, but when you're destitute and have to walk miles and miles every day to get to any appointment, a day riding the bus can feel like pure luxury.
Abdi told me when he go on the bus last week, the driver issued him with a week-long pass instead of the day-long pass. At first, Abdi thought this was a great little mistake in his favour, but quickly felt it would be dishonest not to point out the driver's mistake. The driver thanked Abdi and told him that it would be too much effort to change and said, "Never mind pal, consider it a wee gift." Abdi then says to me half-joking, "Paul remember when you prayed last week? Do you think God knew I was really tried this week and needed a break from walking everywhere? This was a miracle bus ticket." He then said, "Seriously, I will take the ticket as a gift from God, but it is even more important for me to know that people from the church are praying for me."
![]() |
| Said bus ticket with some of the other things we provide to the destitute in the background. |
It was a good reminder of the importance of the interpersonal and spiritual aspects of our ministry to the destitute. We do offer food and bus tickets, but I hope that our support goes deeper than that. All of our destitute friends have names, are made in the image of God, crave community, appreciate that they are cared for as whole people, and need Jesus as much as the rest of us.
6 comments :
Post a Comment
I've said it before, I think what you guys are part of is class. I think you write well Paul in your blogs, I read them in your accent. Thanks for sharing. May God continue to bless the three of you.
Thanks Gareth, always find it encouraging that people do read this! I there were a prize for best and quickest commenter, it would easily go to you.
In all seriousness, we always love hearing from you and appreciate all your prayers and words of encouragement along the way. God bless, P.
In all seriousness, we always love hearing from you and appreciate all your prayers and words of encouragement along the way. God bless, P.
All this sounds so familiar. Giving dignity, honor and friendship is SO much more important that the few THINGS we are able to offer. Good job on keeping the priorities straight - sad we didn't a chance to minister together for much time but glad we are all about our father's business.
Thank you for sharing this story! Little things given in love go a long way!
Great story about how the Lord sees us and cares for us in the little things. Thanks for sharing - Love your blog!
Great story, Paul. Keep up the good work; you're walking hand in hand with God in his mission to his world.
John
John

