Monday, February 20, 2012

Food is Stuff


Tonight I'm off for a night at the night shelter again.  Last week was a less than fun-filled affair -- at the beginning of the night, I was threatened by an addcit (not too scary, he was totally off his head) for not giving him some new shoes. During the night there were some strange noises out the back of the shelter; when I opened the door in the morning I found blood and used needles.  If anything, it helped to confirm the importance of being at the shelter so the destitute have a safe place to get sleep.  There's been a number of new service users this week: we've now had asylum seekers from Afghanistan, Libya, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Palestine, and Sudan make use of the shelter.

Though I spend one night at the Night Shetler, Emma does some hard work behind the scenes.  On Mondays, Emma cooks a meal for the people at the shelter.  The Middle Eastern guys in particular tell me how they look forward to Monday nights because the food is so good, "Just like my mother's cooking!" was the accolade given to Emma's lamb stew.

One of the joys of helping in the Night Shelter is sitting down with the guys during the meal.  It's an integral part of our service to the destitute.

For my birthday, I was given Tim Chester's new book A Meal with Jesus.  While not wanting to bore you with yet another post about food, the following passage from his book resonated and thought it was worth sharing:

...In the ministry of Jesus, meals were enacted grace, community and mission. 

So the meals of Jesus represent something bigger.  They represent a new world, a new kingdom, a new outlook.  But they give that new reality substance.  Jesus' meal are not just symbols; they're also application.  They're not just pictures; they're the real thing in miniature.  Food is stuff.  It's not ideas.  It's not theories.  It's, well, it's food, and your put it in your mouth, taste it and eat it.  And meals are more than food.  They're social occasions.  They represent friendship, community and welcome.

I don't want to reduce church and mission to meals, but I do want to argue that meals should be an integral and significant part of our shared life.  They represent the meaning of mission, but they more than represent it: they embody and enact our mission.  Community and mission are more than meals, but it's hard to concieve of them without meals...

I can pull down books on mission and church planting from my shelves, I can read about contextualisation, evangelism matrices, postmodern apologetics and cultural hermeneutics.  I can look at diagrams that tell me how people can be converted or discover the steps required to plant a church.  It all sounds impressive, cutting edge and sophisticated.  But this is how Luke describes Jesus' mission strategy: 'The Son of Man came eating and drinking.'

We can make community and mission sound like specialised activities that belong to experts.  Some people have a vested interest in doing this, because if makes them 'extra-ordinary'.  Or we focus on dynamic personalities who can hold an audience and lead a movement.  Some push mission beyond the scope of 'ordinary' Christians.  But the Son of Man came eating and drinking.  It's not complicated.  True, it's not always easy -- it involves people invading your space or going to places where you don't feel comfortable.  But it's not complicated.  If you share a meal three or four times a week and you have a passion for Jesus, then you will be building up the Christian community and reaching out in mission.


Posted by Paul and Emma at 6:33 pm |  

0 comments :

Subscribe to: Post Comments ( Atom )