Wednesday, October 26, 2011
Sharing on the move
Maurice Sinclair once wrote, “Programmes may be
predictable; people never are. For
this reason, the unplanned encounters over meals, the friendships cemented and
the spontaneous cooperative ventures may well prove the most valuable...”
Sinclair was writing about a church conference in
Wheaton, but I felt his words also apply to serving refugees. Indeed, people are never predictable; but
even more so when they’re suffering from post-traumatic stress, don’t know
where they will sleep next week, feel they are living in a culture hostile to
their presence...
I was trying to meet regularly with an Iranian seeker who
is seriously thinking about what it means to follow Jesus. He was very keen to meet with me and read the
Bible. So I set a weekly time my dairy
for when we could meet. It worked
sometimes, most of the time it didn’t… for a number of reasons. My Iranian friend has no regular
schedule. He is destitute and has unpredictable
housing situation. I soon learned that
meeting regularly for a traditional Bible study was totally impractical. I began to pray that I would recognise and make
the most of opportunities when and where they arise.
One occasion recently presented itself. I had a great conversation with my Iranian
friend as I gave him a lift home from St Rollox in our car. He asked questions about passages from
Matthew that he had been reading. We
also were able to speak openly and honestly about what it means to follow Jesus. I felt
that we started to address the crux of the concerns that lay behind his
questions. All of this on a 20 minute
journey across town. I’ve never been so
thankful for traffic, as it allowed us more time to talk!
Car conversations have many advantages – they’re confidential
and it’s difficult to avoid the subject at hand. To be honest, trying to answer complicated
questions about Jesus’ divinity while driving isn’t easy. Yet it’s been good to be reminded that God isn’t
confined to our schedules and programmes.
This is not to say that God doesn’t work through such things, but the
guidance of the Spirit cannot be compartmentalised to convenient and/or
scheduled times that suit me.
While the early church had regular meetings for teaching
and fellowship (e.g. Acts 2:42), God can also call us to bear witness “on the
move.” For example, Philip jumping into
the Ethiopian eunuch’s chariot, discussing prophecy about Jesus and sharing the
good news. That the eunuch eventually “commanded
the chariot to stop” (Acts 8:38) suggests that earlier when, “Philip began to
speak, and starting with this scripture, he proclaimed to him the good news
about Jesus” (Acts 8:35), this conversation was happening, quite literally, on
the move. Yet for such openings to transpire,
it does mean that we must be attentive and obedient to the Spirit’s call to “go
over to this chariot and join it” (Acts 8:29). Or, in our day that might be,
“Go and get on the bus with him.” Or, “Give that family a lift home.”
I used to feel a bit like a taxi driver soon after I got
my British driving licence. Now I view
giving lifts as a great opportunity to get to know people better, to deepen
relationships, and hear their stories.
Our teammate Andrew has many similar stories of encounters on the bus he
takes across the city. Pray that we will
continue to be attentive to the Spirit’s prompting to unplanned encounters, no
matter how surprising the location might be.
4 comments :
Post a Comment
Makes me think of Susie's numerous bus encounters in Athens ;D
It sounds like God has provided some amazing times to share with your friend, even on a 20 min car ride. I think those can be some of the best conversations.
"I totally understand and have had numerous encounters on the bus and metro here in Athens, usually when I vary my routine and take a different way home or go to a different area of Athens." Then I read Susan's comment. So funny! Really good reminder though Paul of how we should make the most of every opportunity-whether it be on the bus, in a car, or waiting with one family in the stoa for 3 more to come and hour later.
- Susie
- Susie
(comment above from Susie in Athens -- seem to be having some issues getting comments to work on this. Will try to sort it out!)

