Monday, September 05, 2011

Eid ul-Fitr


Many of our Muslim friends celebrated Eid on Wednesday.  Eid ul-Fitr marks the end of the month of fasting for Ramadan.  To celebrate, one of Emma’s friends from Algeria kindly brought us some of the sweets that she made to the St Rollox drop-in café.  They were delicious.  Niamh enjoyed the biscuit stars especially. 
 


This year, I did notice an interesting dynamic amongst those who observed the fast.  I could put them into two groups…
> The first group constantly talked about how much they were fasting, above and beyond the requirements, even fasting an extra day(s) to ensure they didn’t celebrate Eid too early.
> The second group was quite honest about how difficult it was to fast during the Scottish summertime, when the days are so long and the nights so short.  They observed Ramadan diligently, but didn’t boast and tried to be sensible when discussing the issue of fasting for those who were ill.

It led to interesting discussions about how Christians fast and do other acts of devotion; or, how they should fast and show devotion.  Jesus’ words in Matthew 6 seemed rather appropriate:

Beware of practicing your piety before others in order to be seen by them; for then you have no reward from your Father in heaven…
And whenever you fast, do not look dismal, like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces so as to show others that they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward.

I made me think about how our Muslim friends view us Christians and our approach to seasons like Lent or Advent.  In many ways, preparation for Easter and Christmas is a public thing, but I found a helpful reminder that my public expressions of piety should not bring attention to me and strength of my devotion.  Rather, it should bring the attention to the One to whom I am devoted.




Posted by Paul and Emma at 5:19 pm |  

0 comments :

Subscribe to: Post Comments ( Atom )